Photobucket

About me:

I'm a twenty-something
self-taught knitter currently
living in Midwest City, Oklahoma. I would like to help other youngish people learn to knit as well. I would love to start a local knitting group, but I'm having a hard time finding people who are interested.

Knitty
Blogs

Knitty Abbreviations

Free
Patterns

Previous
Posts


Archives

  Friday, May 26, 2006

Casting On

I sometimes always have problems when I cast-on a new project. I run out of yarn before I've cast-on enough stitches. I'm usually 1-2 stitches short of enough. It's not a big problem when I'm making little things like dishclothes and scarves that don't require very many stitches. It's not hard to pull 10-20 stitches out and recast them, but recently I started my first knit afghan that starts with casting on 103 stitches. It took me 3 tries before I had enough yarn, and then I had like 2 feet left over at the end. Does anyone know a really good method for measuring before you cast-on?

I made the Afghan pattern up from something I saw in a store somewhere. It's still on the needles, so I don't know how wide it will be, but here it is:
Use large circular needles (I'm using US15 I think)
Use a heavy yarn (I'm using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick in Fisherman)
CO 103 sts
Row 1: K3, P2. Rep to end.
Row 2: P3, K2. Rep to end.
Rep these rows until afghan is desired length.

If you don't know the abbreviations, check the chart. I'll post pictures later.

I hope you all have a safe and happy memorial day weekend.
Happy knitting!

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Trina said...

I randomly found your blog... but I use 2 different cast on methods. The length of the kind you do where you have a 'tail' can usually be estimated by having a tail 3 times as long as you want your cast on to be, ex: a 8 inch dishcloth would be cast on with a 24 inch tail. I also use a knitting cast on, basically you start with a slip knot and knit it (using both needles...) then rather than removing the 1st loop from your left needle you add your new loop to the left needle, now you have 2!) It doesn't make quite as pretty of an edge but it is easier to use when you don't know exactly how many stiches you need, I have also cheated on occation when I've run out of 'tail' just short of the require stiches and 'knitted on' the last few stiches. If the border will not be obvious, its not a big deal.
Btw: I'm also a 20 something self taught (with the help of a couple books...) knitter. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Knitty Abbreviations

approx approximately beg beginning bet between BO bind off
CC contrast color cn cable needle CO cast on cont continue
dec decrease dpn double point needles fl front loop inc increase
k or K knit k1,s1,psso knit one, slip one, pass slip stitch over k2tog knit 2 stitches together k2tog tbl knit 2 stitches together ghrough back loop
kwise knitwise lp loop M1 make one stitch M1p-st make one purl stitch
MC main color p or P purl p2tog purl 2 stitches together p2tog tbl purl 2 together through back loop
psso pass slipped stitch over pat pattern pm place marker pwise purlwise
rem remaining rep repeat rev St st reverse stockinette stitch rnd round
RS right side sk skip skp slip, knit, pass stitch over sk2p slip 1 knit 2 together, pass slip stitch over the knit 2 together
sl slip sl1k slip 1 knitwise sl1p slip1 purlwise sl1,k1,psso slip 1, knit 1 pass slip stitch over
sl st slip stitch ssk slip 1, slip 1, knit these 2 stitches together sssk slip, slip, slip, knit 3 stitches together st(s) stitch(s)
St st stockinette stitch tbl through back loop tog together WS wrong side
wyib with yarn in back wyif with yarn in front yfon yarn forward over needle yfrn yarn forward and around needle
yfwd yarn forward yo yarn over yrn yarn around needle yon yarn over needle